Register
It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 10:40 am

Chromium based browser pushing keyring login dialogs

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:04 pm   
. . . .

I've suffered with keyring dialogs for the last 3 versions of Slimjet that I installed. Before Slimjet 14, I never had the keyring dialog problem.

The problem:
Boot the PC from power off, I've seen this in 2 Debian based distros (this has happened in PointLinux 3.2 and Ubuntu Mate 16.04), I'm using Mate desktop for all instances.
Mate as I understand it, is a fork of Gnome 2, uses Gnome apps, and Mate uses gnome-keyring.
After the system is stable, I launch Slimjet from a launcher that I had created, and/or from the commandline in a console.

My situation:
I get one dialog the very first time I launch Slimjet, then all other Slimjet launches pop the same dialog 3 or even 4 times (but never more).
The dialog discusses a keyring not being unlocked at login, and requires your login credentials.
I can simply cancel these dialogs, but for a user who never uses keyrings, I want zero dialogs.

My tests:
I've uninstalled the package gnome-keyring, restarted Linux and the problem of the keyring dialogs was gone. Because network manager seems to be tied to gnome-keyring, there is no network applet in Mate after uninstalling gnome-keyring. I want that applet, so I'll either need to find a new way to launch network manager at startup, or reinstall gnome-keyring. I reinstalled gnome-keyring, and sought a new way to disable annoyances asking for me to use a login for keyring access when I launch a browser.

The resolution for now:
Here is what I found, this was posted as a solution for Chrome, and it works for me in Slimjet 16.02 (Slimjet and Chrome are both derived from Chromium).
--password-store=basic
used as follows:
Code:
flashpeak-slimjet --password-store=basic

So, in my current Ubuntu Mate 16.04.1, I created a launcher with that string as the command.
No more keyring dialogs, works fine for me.

Before anyone starts discussions about insecure credential storage, know that I do not store ANY login information in my browser, AT ALL. I delete cookies when I exit the browser. I am offline until I need to be online. I store all documents on removed media. Most of the strongest reasons for 'security' have been addressed.