Register
It is currently Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:58 pm

Chuwi Lapbook 12.3

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:43 pm   
Linux Guru

Just got this in. Doubt there's much surprise that I finally broke down and bougth one.

Intel Celeron N3450
6 GB soldered DDR3 (claims it's dual channel, I don't know how you get 6 GB dual channel)
64 GB eMMC
2736 x 1824 IPS LCD
Intel 3165 802.11 AC + BT

Installing Debian on it as I type. Windows 10 ran really well on this, felt quite spry and quick. The keyboard is feels really good. The toucpad had a good physical feel to it, it's performance was a little underwhelming.

Got it less than $300 shipped.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:50 am   
Linux Guru

Have now installed Debian and Arch on it.

Touchpad isn't recognized as a touchpad. So only single and dual finger tapping works (click and right-click), and 2-finger vertical scroll. I tried with libinput and synaptics on Debian, and just libinput on Arch. The performance isn't amazing, but much better in both than it was in Windows.

The screen is amazing. Debian with the older Plasma (5.8.6) didn't have scaling working quite right (1, 1.5, 2, 2.5 and 3 worked, nothing in between), Arch scaling is perfect (1.4 for me on this screen). Wireless worked without issue, both saw the eMMC without a single hitch. Both have Bluetooth working without issue.

Overall, for a $300 laptop, this is surprisingly quick, and amazingly beautiful, while FEELING like a much, much, much more expensive device due to the all metal chassis. If anyone's looking for something super small and portable, but also cheap I don't think there's too many things I can recommend much more than this. It's also great if you need the aforementioned properties and need to do a lot of documentation. With the 3:2 screen, much taller than most 16:9 screens, and with the high resolution, you can actually have multiple documents opened side by side. And very little worries about this getting damaged, as the all metal body is going to be more robust than most of the plastic bodied competition for this in it's price range.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:38 am   
Linux Guru

Arch Linux, KDE Plasma 5, scale set to 1.5, running native 2736x1824 resolution.

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:59 pm   
Linux Guru

tlmiller wrote:
Arch Linux, KDE Plasma 5, scale set to 1.5, running native 2736x1824 resolution.

Image Image Image

Personally I like the Z best! Beautiful! :D

Profile WWW YIM  
 PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:02 am   
Linux Guru

I miss my Z sometimes.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:45 am   
Linux Guru

tlmiller wrote:
I miss my Z sometimes.

No Z any more? I was missing my 2004 Nissan Maxima SLE but I have a 2017 Honda Accord LX now.

The Accord LX is nowhere near as luxurious as the Maxima and the Maxima really had a nice compromise between a decent ride, yet good handling. On the other hand, the Accord handles better, and (in the last year before a restyle), met my price constraints and has better mileage and handling than anything I've owned myself. Now that I have around 7,000 miles on it, I can get over 25 miles per gallon in anything except a lot of stop and go - in traffic jams it'll go down to 22 or so, but still average 25-27 on most of the tankfuls. Last tank with more driving at mid speed with fewer stops and quite a bit of 70 MPH highway driving, I got about 31 MPG.

Driving up to Saginaw, MI and back home, I've clocked around 38 MPG, so the typical mileage is 25 city, 27 suburban, 31 highway mix and 38 all highway. Acceleration is as good as most 6 cylinder engines, but it's a 4 cyl. engine - I think it's rated at 192 HP, not far from the 205 HP I believe the Maxima used to have; so it's only "slower" in a flat out drag race with a Maxima, but gets much better mileage, is less expensive, and has not had a single issue, plus it's my first personally owned car with Bluetooth included - my wife also has it in her 2016 Honda CRV.

I guess we're driving Honda for the foreseeable future, since we both can usually get ten plus years out of our cars.

Profile WWW YIM  
 PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:24 am   
Linux Guru

No, I got rid of the Z to get my FIRST FR-S/BRZ/86 (2013). Traded that in on a 2015 (identical exterior color, interior color, option package, everything) because a moronic neighbor dropped a ladder on it while I was out playing paintball. Then traded THAT FR-S in on my mustang that I have now.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:22 am   
Linux Guru

Now have moved over to Fedora on this. Also installed my 60 GB m.2 SATA 2242 SSD. Have /boot/efi and / on the SSD, /home and swap on the eMMC. Ordered a replacement for the 60 GB SSD too. Found a 120 GB m.2 SATA 2242 SSD for $45 shipped, so couldn't pass that up. But in the meantime (it's shipping from China, so several weeks until it arrives), I was looking into trim for the SSD, and not sure how, but
Code:
lsblk --discard
reports that my eMMC supports trim. So enabled periodic trim. Still not sure how it supports it, given that one of the reasons eMMC's are so much slower than SSD's is because they're controllerless, I don't understand how it can support trim. But I'll monitor it and see if it causes issues.

Still extremely impressed with the performance on this thing for the specs and the price. The LCD is possibly the most beautiful LCD I've ever had on a laptop too. Just absolutely in love with it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:23 pm   
Linux Guru

I've been out of the Nissan lineup ever since I wrecked my 2004 Nissan Maxima on July 17, 2014. It had just over 155,000 miles on it and still worked great. I bought that car in 2008 when it was four years old, financed it for six years and I'd just paid it off. Man, was I upset with myself.

One thing I can't find documented about this model is the trim - apparently it was pretty rare: mine was an "SLE" model, Sport Luxury Edition - automatic transmission (pre-CVT) large 17 inch wheels and tires, perforated leather interior.
It was probably more "luxury" than sport; the Honda Accord LX is tighter and firmer than the Maxima and more "accurate" in steering and handling, but let me tell you, that Maxima ate up the highway - smooth ride, not a "race car", but nimble enough not to ride like the OLD time Buick Park Avenue - a nice luxury highway car, very smooth and responsive, but NOT a handling type of car, more of something you ride in for comfort and quiet. The old Maxima struck a very nice compromise - at least to me - between nimble handling and smooth, comfortable ride. No way would it take on a Mustang, Camaro, Corvette, or 370Z on any course, but neither would it jar your bowels when you drive on crappy Michigan roads or back country New England roads. The old Buick Park Avenue (my dad had a beautiful white/off-white 1999 Buick Park Avenue that my mom kept until 2011); I drove it not long before she traded it in for a 2011 Buick Regal. The Park Ave. would never be mistaken for a sharp cornering, handling vehicle; it was safe to drive down roads, mostly highways in a comfortable way. The newer Buicks, to some degree the LaCrosse, but more so the Regal, are tighter, still quiet and comfortable. The LaCrosse still has some of that Park Avenue feel, but has more controlled handling. The Regal is tighter, more like a German sport sedan. The Regal and Maxima are not far apart on the comfort and handling scale; the Regal (2011 at least) is tighter than a 2004 Maxima, but the Maxima has more power unless you get a Turbocharged Regal, in which case they are closer.

I think that the current generation Honda out-handles either of them, but sacrifices a bit of quietness and smoothness to do so, but I do like the Accord; I got the 2017 Accord LX for a good deal because the redesigned 2018 models were "soon to come" and have since been released. No sports car for me; this one handles well enough and has an every day ride that is comfortable in normal use.

Profile WWW YIM  
 PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:30 pm   
Linux Guru

RE: Running Fedora: do the menu entries in the window or desktop manager that you use look "OK" or "usual" on the Chuwi Lapbook 12.3?

I usually run Xfce on most of my distributions, including the past 3-4 releases of Fedora. For me, Fedora performs reasonably well, but the menu entries at the top of the display manager run together and dialog boxes and other inputs generally lack the window decorations around them and generally "run things together", so there is not always a clear distinction between menu selections or message response windows. I've only observed this on Fedora, and other than this, Fedora works fine, but it's the only distribution I have currently installed that has this behavior.

Have you ever seen this?

Profile WWW YIM  
 PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:00 pm   
Linux Guru

Yes, with the scaling set to 1.5, everything pretty much looks like it would if it were a normal 1080P lcd. As far as the decorations and such, I haven't found anything that doesn't work properly with Plasma on Fedora. I'd bet it's an issue with the xfce implementation of Fedora, because I've never seen anything like it recently.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:19 pm   
Linux Guru

I wonder if there are any settings that I can change to make the default setup work better for me. I'll look into it the next time I run Fedora on my Dell Inspiron 5558.

Profile WWW YIM  
 PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:54 pm   
Linux Guru

masinick wrote:
I wonder if there are any settings that I can change to make the default setup work better for me. I'll look into it the next time I run Fedora on my Dell Inspiron 5558.

Regarding my menu-related display issues on the Dell Inspiron 5558 when running Xfce with Fedora 27 (and the past couple of versions), I notice that the menus that run together are associated with the Xfce4-Terminal. I'm not seeing any menu issues when I run Firefox 59.0.2, though the entries when you click on a menu entry are still a bit closer together than they are on some of my other instances of Xfce in other distributions on the same hardware.

Still looking around for stuff that I might be able to alter to get a different result.

Profile WWW YIM