Register
It is currently Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:02 pm

LibreOffice 6

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:56 am   
Linux Guru

So, I tested this today (6.0.1) on my Desktop, installing from backports. Thought I'd share my findings:

1. This is by far the fastest starting LibreOffice ever. Opening them simultaneously, it opened faster than SoftMaker Office. Given that 5.4.x took 2-3x the time to open, this is a HUGE improvement.

2. MS compatibility is a VAST improvement from all prior versions. I opened a slew of test documents (docx and xlsx) and every single one was legible and had formatting almost unchanged. Still not on the level of SoftMaker or OnlyOffice, but it's VERY close.

3. Exporting to MS Office xml formats now works. Previously exporting .odt or .ods to .docx or .xlsx would produce an ugly jumble of complete chaos as much of the formatting was mangled. Not so anymore, still perfectly legible.

Huge congratulations to the libreoffice team.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:22 pm   
. . . .

Quote:
Previously exporting .odt or .ods to .docx or .xlsx would produce an ugly jumble of complete chaos as much of the formatting was mangled.
Being able to properly support Microsoft document formats hasn't been the easiest, since Microsoft usually wants to keep everything hidden, so that nobody can critique the Microsoftian ethic. Yeah, years ago, Microsoft talked about 'open document' standards, but if I remember correctly the end game was they would still control the format, and thus it is only open when Microsoft says it is open. For developers to reverse engineer stuff is already a big challenge, and with small (compared to Microsoft sized) development teams, I'm happy that Libre was able to correct the issues.

I've been using Libre since they first split with Open Office, haven't looked back.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:13 pm   
Linux Guru

I manually downloaded LibreOffice 6.0.1 (I erroneously wrote OpenOffice 6.0.1 previously) and ran it on one of my systems and I also found it to be significantly faster starting up, with virtually immediate response to everything. It was almost as fast as calling up and using a Notepad, it was that much better than anything I've recently seen. Well done!

Profile WWW YIM  
 PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:38 pm   
Linux Guru

LibreOffice 6.0.1 has been working really well for me and I've used it quite a few times over the past month to update my resume and send it out to others. I've also been saving those resumes in THREE different formats: .docx (to send to recruiters who don't have LibreOffice or OpenOffice), .odt to keep them in a Libre format, and .pdf to be able to send them as PDF documents to sites that prefer that format. It is faster than it was previously and I have not encountered any issues with it.

Profile WWW YIM  
 PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:34 pm   
. . . .

In Ubuntu Mate 16.04, as of April 6 2018, I'm using Libre Office 6.0.2.1. Yes, nice and quick to launch, feels better than 5.

Since Open Office first revealed the capability to me, I've always used PDF exports for distributing my resumes. I even export to pdf with editing permissions set, in the event someone questions the legitimacy of the contents, which has happened with a recruiter. When they questioned it, I unlocked it with my credentials and edited it to prove it was my own.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:23 pm   
Linux Guru

I find the vast majority of recruiters constantly asked me for a .doc/.docx resume when I sent a .pdf. Now, I do use .pdf as my default as well, but I keep a M$ format ready to go.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:56 am   
Linux Guru

LibreOffice has had a couple of updates since the initial release - I think that 6.0.2 is the current one. Whatever the case may be, LibreOffice has been functioning well; it was OK previously, but the performance it offers now is quite good on my aging hardware and I've had no problems at all reading MSFT Word or sending people content in whatever formats they want.

I've mostly used the LibreOffice Writer, but I have used the spreadsheet (Calc), the presentations (Impress) a few times, and I think I've drawn diagrams once or twice with Draw and they all work as expected.

Profile WWW YIM  
 PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:58 pm   
. . . .

Really, all told, Libre Office is full featured, ready for any office task.

The bigger problem, when I last spoke of Libre Office to a Windows user, the discussion ensued regarding their Linux experiences, their response "How do you get support?". Turns out, F1 didn't work for them. Still, I asked 'In this day and age, why do you NEED support?', is the function you need unfamiliar to you in either office product? Does Microsoft Office offer introductory tutorials for deeper tasks? Their response was not directed toward Libre Office, but to their experience with Linux.

Shedding the 'no support' fear is clearly the next stage of acceptance of open source.

We can no longer afford to let F1 go unpopulated. Fortunately, Libre Office on my current system (Ubuntu Mate 16.04.1) brings up a help function. But, for me, F1 has led to 'not found' as recently as a month ago, for a different program. A fresh distro install included a particular program (I forget which), but the distro installation did not include the F1 help topics. The web support showed that their F1 brought up a help function, but it clearly wasn't installed in my fresh install.

Not sure who thinks it is ok to produce a fresh install which skips help functions. The more experienced Linux users need to speak up and push back to the teams who package stuff and let them know they are making decisions which send new users back to their familiar configurations and I'm not referring to a long time Linux user going back to an older distro. I'm referring to a Windows user seeing how software help functions are not important enough to be included in a fresh install of Linux.

My point is that not including built in help is just not acceptable.

'nuff said.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:28 pm   
Linux Guru

Good point!

The "geeks" out there can readily figure out things most of the time, but novices can not do so.

One thing that any of us who DO have knowledge can do to contribute in this process is to assist in the documentation of anything that we are familiar with, especially if we use it often and it is truly "freely" available, and does not "cost" us anything other than our time.

I've written many documents myself, both for specific distributions and as tutorials for various features. I may do so again at various times, though at this current moment in my life there are many other things going on that have significantly reduced the amount of time that I test or experiment with Linux distributions. I'm mostly just "using" them after 2 1/2 decades of using, testing, reviewing, documenting, and sharing my observations. I may (and probably will) do more, just not at the present time.

Meanwhile, if you are an expert in anything, I encourage each person who IS to take JUST ONE project and improve the available documentation, even in a small way; then you're doing YOUR PART to help advance and improve open software. I'll definitely do more of this as I've already done countless times during the course of my professional and personal career.

Profile WWW YIM  
 PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:49 pm   
. . . .

If you have the correct processes for fixing networking or bad sound configurations, why hide this on the internet? I am, first and foremost, lobbying for getting F1 working as expected by the user, since that help system resides within the freshly installed system. It's hard to troubleshoot your faulty hardware when F1 could EASILY answer basic configuration needs but somebody didn't put the F1 system into the installed system. Not every person successfully finds an answer on the internet, but pretty much everyone presses function keys.

Mas, there are so many odd corners out on the web where correct and thorough information remains unfound because there are too many misdirections given in a range of search results. This all assumes the users networking even works correctly. I think new users need to trust that established on-system help methods are respected, since such help systems exist in all major operating systems, even in Linux.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:02 pm   
Linux Guru

Right, and that's why I advocate when any of us knows the correct way to do something, at least occasionally we should contribute to the project documentation on at least one "free" or "open" project so that the very thing you are describing gets improved.

Neither you, nor me, nor Dave, nor Tim, nor any of us by ourselves can FIX this problem completely, but if each of us mentioned improves the documentation on even one project, maybe once every 1-3 years, and we encourage those we know to do likewise, we can get the overall documentation on the projects we are interested in improved. That's how free software works. In commercial software, people pay for it and hire paid help to document things. In free and open software, though some projects actually have SOME budgets, the majority of them don't, and that's where people like us come in, helping where we can.

Profile WWW YIM