rescuing my grub (Solved)

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:10 pm   
Linux Guru

Since Win10 updated (w/o my permission), now when I start up I get
error: unknown filesystem.
entering rescue mode...
grub rescue>

I've looked at how to 'rescue' my grub, but it seems that there's no easy way .... either a bunch of command line stuff or some software - (maybe both if the command line doesn't work!).
Clik :)
Clik :)

IF I use the F-12 option I have a choice of:
debian
Windows boot manager
Windows 10
Patriot Blast

If I select 'debian', it does nothing at all for me - blue screen, and then back to the grub rescue thing:

error: unknown filesystem.
entering rescue mode...
grub rescue>
I'm totally confused :( ??.

Both of the Windows options take me to the Win 10 desktop.

I have no idea of what Patriot Blast is, apparently something to do with the hard drive, so I don't mess with something I don't know about, if possible.
I can't get my Debian 8 back! AND, I've got to go thru the F-12 rigamarole to even get on the lappy now!
Any ideas?

Last edited by JP on Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:07 pm   
Linux Guru

After doing an i-net search on blocking Win 10 updates, I've found that it isn't possible normally. I'd have to do a lot of things I'm not familiar with, but I still may give them a spin. .... I'm thinking of removing Win 10 and going back to Win 7 where the user still has control! Maybe that way I won't have trouble with my grub, and therefore I'll be able to use my Debian 8 again!
Melissa Popp wrote:
Conclusion

Windows 10 is forcing users to use Windows as a service, which is what Microsoft wants. Forced automatic updates on all levels are part of that thinking. If you’re having issues in Windows 10 with updates or drivers, consider uninstalling and blocking them to remedy the problem until a solution can be found.
found here Clik :)

Did I mention I hate Winblows??

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:57 pm   
Linux Guru

Nowadays for the most part I've just given up on Windows and strictly use Linux due to many of the same issues.

As far as repairing grub, it is possible using the minimal grub command line that it's put you in. Easier, IMO, is to boot from a live image, mount your / partition (and /boot if separate from /) and reinstall grub that way. Then when you get booted into Linux, update grub so that it adds the os-prober lines for Windows.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:10 pm   
Linux Guru

Thanks Tim, I guess what I'll do is copy all the important stuff onto my external drive, try to install the Win 7, and if it doesn't work, I'll just stick with Linux completely - no more Windows!.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:16 pm   
Linux Guru

JP wrote:
Thanks Tim, I guess what I'll do is copy all the important stuff onto my external drive, try to install the Win 7, and if it doesn't work, I'll just stick with Linux completely - no more Windows!.

Unless you have some application that MUST have Windows, that's what I'd do (and did). Even most sites (netflix, hulu) that uses DRM work fine in linux if you're willing to use the full Chrome browser (and some also work with Firefox).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:21 pm   
Linux Guru

Yeah, if you know the exact details - which partitions you want to access and the specific kernel and initrd files to reference, with the correct syntax, you can get in directly using grub, even if it pushes you to a command line. But as Tim suggests, it's a whole lot easier to use a Live image device - whether a CD, DVD, or USB stick, and install it.

Once installed, you can use various commands to look for images, or much easier, just have GRUB installed and be sure to allow it to access and add to it's menus and information any systems that are on your disks, and then you can at that point select the system you want to access from the GRUB menu of the system that you installed.

Profile WWW YIM  
 PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:06 pm   
Linux Guru

Well, that was fun ....... I d/l'ed Debian 9.3 Live onto a USB stick to see if I could fix the Grub .... not happening! It won't start up on the USB stick. There isn't a CD/DVD player on the laptop, so that lets that out :(. There's no way to set the bios on Win 10, they've done away with that according to what I've read, so I'm stumped.
Tim, I don't know what/how you were able to load Win 10 and Debian on here, but I think you're a magician! :lol: :super: :super:

I don't know if I've still got one of those cables, but I'm wondering if I can install from my Win 7 laptop to this laptop with a 'crossover cable' or not? I'm afraid if I was to use some command line thing to delete both partitions and start over, I'd never get anything loaded.

Also, I'm wondering if a 'netinst' from Debian actually loads/installs over the net, or will I still have to have a USB/DVD to install it? If that would actually install to the Debian partition, could I then use the USB sticks with d/l's #1, #2,& #3 to bring the install up to snuff?
Just a couple of things I've been tossing around in my pea-brain.

I've got to re-read both your posts to make sure I understand what you guys are talking about, and see if I have anymore dumb questions to ask before I'm off to the Debian site to research a bit about the 'netinst' to see if what I'm wondering will actually come to fruition, or if it's just another pipe dream.

I'm 'electrifying' my home-brewery with electronic temp controls and built-in heating elements, so I'm trying to wire up my brewery control box, and punching holes in my Stainless Steel pots at the same time I'm trying to get this lappy working right again, ...... so what little brain I have is getting overtaxed! Once I get the brewing stuff up and running to my satisfaction, I hope to find a Linux-designed control app that I can adapt to my little system using the old D10, so I can run it off a laptop. There is one which runs off Pi (?), that I know of, and there's another that runs off an Android tablet, but at the present time, that kind of stuff is too far in the future for me to get too involved in. I know that would be the ultimate in laziness, but with Linux and other open-source OS's becoming more and more popular among homebrewers, I figure that someday I might just get that kind of set up without too much expense involved! (another pipe dream?)
Thanks guys!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:23 pm   
Linux Guru

Well, that takes care of my questions about netinst, got to use a CD/USB - not happening! Now to do some more research about fixing Grub :(

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:45 pm   
Linux Guru

Why wouldn't it boot with Debian 9 (IE, did it give an error)? Stretch supports EFI booting, which if that's the E7440, it's set to full EFI boot and should boot without an issue.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:40 am   
Linux Guru

I don't know why it wouldn't boot. It's UEFI, if that makes any difference.
It's a Lexar 3.0 USB and here's what it has on it:
Can't get it to copy ...

Trash-1000 file folder
buda file folder
EncriptStick lite.app file folder
debian-live-9.3.0-amd64-kde.iso.torrent TORRENT file 49kb

Computer Management shows: 119.24 GB, FAT32 Healthy Primary partition

I've never had trouble with this stick for other things (not iso's), and it shows up when I'm using Win 10, so I don't understand what might be wrong here. I've done a defrag (never use it normally) but it didn't show anything wrong.

Is there something better to use for Win 10/Linux than EncryptStick lite, becuz if that's a potential problem, I can format the drive and install something else if necessary?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:47 am   
Linux Guru

Linux use dd to write usb's.
Code:
dd if=/path/to/iso of=/dev/your/device/without/partition bs=4M; sync

Windows use rufus.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:25 pm   
Linux Guru

tlmiller wrote:
Linux use dd to write usb's.
Code:
dd if=/path/to/iso of=/dev/your/device/without/partition bs=4M; sync

Windows use rufus.

More optional information:

@JP: If you are using Windows, https://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-USB-Bootable has one method that will work, and they gude you through several steps. It may not be the only way or the fastest possible way, but it looks straightforward.

https://rufus.akeo.ie/ shows you the "Rufus" way, which is what Tim recommended if you are using a Windows system to create the USB.

HOWTO Geek also describes the procedure using Rufus, but it also mentions DOS and FreeDOS. You do not need not use DOS in order to complete the process, but if you examine this article and the one from Rufus, it ought to provide the background that you may want to have available.

For another alternative, available for Windows, Linux, and MacOS, there's http://unetbootin.github.io/ - UNetbootin. Several distributions, including antiX, mention the use of this tool, and it may be available on your Linux distribution too. Check the repo to see if you have a version available, or just visit their site instead.

HOWTO Geek/ has another reference that describes "How to Create Bootable USB Drives and SD Cards For Every Operating System", so it's a "one stop shop". They specifically note the syntax mentioned by Tim: sudo dd if=/home/user/file.img of=/dev/sdX bs=1M (though they don't include the "sync" step - which is a good idea to make sure that the image gets fully copied before you remove the media.

Notice that they use 1M; Tim suggests 4M. If you have plenty of memory on your system, the larger you make the block size, the quicker the physical transfer, but the larger you make the number, the longer it takes initially to load into memory - not a factor up to perhaps 1M, but unless your system has a few GB of memory, you may not want to make the value too large.

OS Technix covers dd - and it explains a few other commands you can use if your USB is not formatted prior to creating the bootable image. It also explains that after using bootable USB, It is best to format and use the pen drive for making another bootable ISO.

NOTE: You don't NEED all of this information, so if it's confusing, stick with a solution that works best for your specific situation. I provide it as additional research and background information for you or anyone else who wants to read up on the many alternative ways you can use USB drives (commonly called "pen drives") to boot up a downloaded system image.

Profile WWW YIM  
 PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:00 pm   
Linux Guru

A few dd examples:

sudo dd if=~/My-USB-imageg.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=4M;sync

sudo dd if=Linux-3.0.0-32.iso of=/dev/sdc

https://www.wikihow.com/Create-an-ISO-File-in-Linux has some simple examples of how to create an ISO image file if you don't have one and you want to create one - perhaps from a group of files. That's enough for now :D

Profile WWW YIM  
 PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:02 am   
. . . .

Footnotes:
dd: many USB flash drives are designed at 512k byte sectors, so 'bs=4m' is not a matching choice. 'bs=512'.
flash drives that have held other distros: Might want (might NEED) to blank the master boot record on the flash drive. That's another use for dd, but I'm not explaining that at the moment.
unetbootin: Debian has spoken, unetbootin isn't a good tool for ISOs from the Debian realms. I posted herein about unetbootin and Debian.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:53 am   
Linux Guru

I used Rufus to create a bootable Debian 9.3.0 netinst iso. I used a different USB receptacle on the laptop in case the one I usually use is defective - no joy!, but I did find something in computer management that changed the boot order, so now when I turn on the laptop, it goes directly to Win 10, no messing around with F12, select Win 10, etc. I'll change that back later.
I'll use it this way until I can find out why I can't even install the Debian or get this crappy OS to recognize the USB on startup.
I'll have to build up the netinst (once I get it on the hard drive), to a full install, but as I've read here before, I won't have to deal with programs/apps I don't want or need. I may be asking for advice at that time, but I've got to get it installed onto the Hard drive first!
Thanks for all the help and comments - I love this group - always my go-to for help!