Register
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:32 am

Fast and Light AntiX 8.0 is Released!

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:10 pm   
Linux Guru

I am excited about this one! :-)

Quote:
The antiX-team is proud to announce that antiX MEPIS 8 'Intifada' - a fast and light complete desktop and livecd based on SimplyMEPIS and Debian Testing, with a little bit of sidux,- is now available at mepis mirrors in the released/antix directories in full and base editions.

This release defaults to a fully customised icewm desktop (fluxbox is also installed) In addition to the SimplyMEPIS 8.0 foundation with its 2.6.27-15 kernel and Assistants, antiX has an improved antiX-Control Centre, new scripts for screenshots, and phonebook. There are improved and extended themes and artwork for icewm and fluxbox. Localisation is much improved in this version.

Press release
Further details and download information
More information

Profile WWW YIM  
 PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:36 pm   
Site Admin

Sweet! :) Downloading now.

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:22 pm   
Linux Guru

Xeroid wrote:
Sweet! :) Downloading now.

It is REALLY sweet. The full image is bigger than before ~430 MB because there is much better localization, which takes up space. The base, which I haven't tried, is considerably smaller, about the size of SLAX.

This version is small enough to load into RAM, which makes it faster than ever. It can handle Broadcom 4311 wireless cards, even live, which puts it into a really small, elite group (though newer distros are getting the Broadcom stuff better than they have in the past). Fedora 11's Alpha Live CD couldn't do Broadcom 4311 out of the gate, nor could PCLinuxOS's new Beta 3 test release. This one did it as easy as can be.

I brought networking up with ceni this time around. I've used ceni, mnetwork, and wicd; all three of them work well for me. This one is a definite keeper!

Running it right now on my Gateway; may try it soon on my Latitude D600, an older Dell laptop.

Profile WWW YIM