Register
It is currently Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:07 pm

Links to Web Browsers for Linux

All times are UTC

Which linux web browser do you like the most?
Galeon 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
Konqueror 8%  8%  [ 5 ]
Mozilla 47%  47%  [ 28 ]
Netscape 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
Opera 15%  15%  [ 9 ]
Other browser - Not listed on this poll. 19%  19%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 59
 PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:52 am   
Linux Guru

I finally grabbed Slimjet and got it working. It is indeed a fast and seemingly flexible browser. I'll try to use it as much as I can on one of my systems to gain a worthwhile impression; my initial impression is very positive.

Profile WWW YIM  
 PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:34 pm   
Linux Guru

I spent nearly an hour with Slimjet 15.1.5.0, which is the most current version I see, released on October 9, 2017.

It's definitely a solid browser; there wasn't anything I tried that I wasn't able to do, and it was at least as fast, probably faster, than anything else I've used. If this browser remains in active development, it's bound to become popular. I didn't see it in any of the distribution repositories I looked at, but it is available in multiple formats, so it should be easy to install on any system.

A couple of interesting features that other browsers don't seem to currently have:

1. Language translation: Translate whole page or selected text between any languages.
2. Popup blocker: Block based on behavior and URL (at most, other browsers offer blocking based on behavior only.
3: Form filler: Fill login and identity information. Automatic page navigation and form submission. The best other browsers have is either a basic password manager or the ability to fill login and identity information. Nobody else has the automatic page navigation and form navigation.

Slimjet also claims to have the fastest download speeds for both file download and photo uploads. I didn't test any uploads, but I did download a few things and found them to be as fast as the browser was in general, so I believe their claims.

Hopefully this browser will widely catch on. I now have it on one of my Linux distributions, and assuming continued success, I anticipate using it more frequently. I'm also going to see if Slimjet in any form is available for Android - I did not see Android mentioned in any of their blog or forum notes, and it wasn't listed in the operating systems supported. Who knows though, maybe someone has ported it or something similar. I know that Android has a "Brave" browser, which also has a built-in Ad-Block capability, a Chrome/Chromium based source code, and speeds that exceed Chrome, though it doesn't appear to be quite as fast as Slimjet!

Profile WWW YIM  
 PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:30 pm   
Linux Guru

Code:
Firefox Release Calendar
quarter    merge date    central      beta        release date      release       ESR
Q4        2017-11-13    Firefox 59    Firefox 58    2017-11-14    Firefox 57    Firefox 52.5
Q1        2018-01-22    Firefox 60    Firefox 59    2018-01-23    Firefox 58    Firefox 52.6
2018-03-12              Firefox 61    Firefox 60    2018-03-13    Firefox 59    Firefox 52.7; 59.0
Q2        2018-05-07    Firefox 62    Firefox 61    2018-05-08    Firefox 60    Firefox 52.8; 59.1
2018-07-02              Firefox 63    Firefox 62    2018-07-03    Firefox 61    Firefox 59.2
Q3        2018-08-27    Firefox 64    Firefox 63    2018-08-28    Firefox 62    Firefox 59.3
Q4        2018-10-22    Firefox 65    Firefox 64    2018-10-23    Firefox 63    Firefox 59.4
2018-11-26              Firefox 66    Firefox 65    2018-11-27    Firefox 64    Firefox 59.5

Profile WWW YIM  
 PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:35 pm   
Linux Guru

Slimjet now has version 16.0.7.0 available for multiple platforms. It looks like the code base is at least up to Chromium 61.

Profile WWW YIM  
 PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:51 pm   
. . . .

I'm a smidge behind:
Code:
Slimjet
Version 16.0.2.0 (based on Chromium 61.0.3163.79) (Official Build) (64-bit)
Mostly because SJ is shifting it's menus a bit, and that tends to put me off. I choose to be slow about adopting the latest and greatest version as soon as it becomes available.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:51 am   
Linux Guru

@mmmna: I spent some time, using two or three Linux distributions this weekend, with the primary intention to simply update their packages. My secondary intention, however, was to add and update browsers - Slimjet is now up to Version 17.0.2.0 (based on Chromium 63.0.3239.52) (Official Build) (64-bit), and if anything, it works even better than I previously remember- it was quite quick and accurate this evening with no issues whatsoever detected.

Profile WWW YIM  
 PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:32 am   
Linux Guru

Dave,

One look at this list and you can quickly see that an incredible amount of change has taken place since the early days of our forum. For one thing, many of the browsers with a lot of initial promise simply are not around and haven't been for quite some time, while a few of them have morphed considerably and many others have replaced them:

crouse wrote:
Thought I'd start this forum out with links to web browsers. Again, feel free to add to my list or give your comments on which one you like the best. :)

Galeon
http://galeon.sourceforge.net/
Description: Galeon is a GNOME Web browser based on gecko (the mozilla rendering engine). It's fast, it has a light interface, and it is fully standards-compliant. You can download it but first take a look at some screenshots and read additional documentation (installation...). It requires Gnome and Mozilla.

Konqueror
http://www.konqueror.org/
Description: Konqueror is the file manager for the K Desktop Environment. It supports basic file management on local UNIX filesystems, from simple cut/copy and paste operations to advanced remote and local network file browsing. Konqueror is the canvas for all the latest KDE technology, from KIO slaves (which provide mechanisms for file access) to component embedding via the KParts object interface, and it's one of the most customizable applications available. Konqueror is an Open Source web browser with HTML4.0 compliance, supporting Java applets, JavaScript, CSS1 and (partially) CSS2, as well as Netscape plugins (for example, Flash or RealVideo plugins). Konqueror is a universal viewing application, capable of embedding read-only viewing components in itself to view documents without ever launching another application.

Mozilla
http://www.mozilla.org/
Description: Mozilla is an open-source web browser and toolkit, designed for standards compliance, performance and portability. Mozilla.org provides binaries for testing and feedback.

Netscape
http://channels.netscape.com/ns/browsers/default.jsp
Description: Who hasn't heard of Netscape? A nice browser..... check it out. Netscape offers many plug-ins to enhance the web surfing experience.

Opera
http://www.opera.com/products/desktop/
Description: Opera...my personal favorite browser.....regardless of the operating system. With Opera for Linux, the Internet is now even more convenient. Opera 6 for Linux provides you with the speed, flexibility, features and security that you demand from a Web browser, while integrating seamlessly into the Linux environment.

Opera still exists; so does Konqueror; Mozilla is known as Seamonkey in the form closest to what was described in these posts. Netscape evolved into work on the Mozilla project and Firefox is a Mozilla project.

Google Chrome and its many descendants did not exist in any released form until well after our initial discussion. I remember when I first mentioned Chrome in one of the forums I used at the time there was surprise, ignorance and a general disinterest and yet Chrome is probably the #1 browser on all platforms, practically knocking out Internet Explorer and Firefox.

Profile WWW YIM