Register
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:14 am

SUSE Linux Enterprise

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:41 pm   
Linux Guru

2013-07-09 NEW • Distribution Release: SUSE Linux Enterprise 11 SP3
[SUSE Linux Enterprise] Yesterday SUSE released the third service pack for SUSE Linux Enterprise 11 "Desktop" and "Server" editions, a set of commercial enterprise-class distributions for desktops and servers: "SUSE today announced the general availability of SUSE Linux Enterprise 11 Service Pack 3. This latest service pack brings additional industry-standard hardware support and open source features and enhancements to SUSE Linux Enterprise 11, the most interoperable platform for mission-critical computing - across physical, virtual and cloud environments. With Service Pack 3, customers can achieve better workload performance in a more scalable, secure and cost-effective manner. Service Pack 3 gives customers more scale-up and scale-out options to run their mission-critical workloads with support for new hardware, features and enhancements." Read the press release https://www.suse.com/company/press/2013 ... eased.html and check out the detailed released notes (desktop, https://www.suse.com/releasenotes/x86_6 ... ED/11-SP3/ server https://www.suse.com/releasenotes/x86_6 ... ES/11-SP3/ ) for more information.

60-day evaluation editions are available for free download (after registration) from download.novell.com. http://download.novell.com/index.jsp
NOTE: How many remember when SUSE was SuSE, and the whole ball of wax ( minus long term maintenace contracts ) came in the same box with 8 or 10 CD''s ?
Now there are 20 some odd targeted versions, or at least targeted areas.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:05 am   
Advanced Member

SuSE (9.3, I think) was my first Linux experience. It was a 3-CD set with a nice book that went a long way toward explaining Linux basics. I was studying Chinese as well as learning about computers using a Chinese assembled computer and Win98. My son sent me the CD set because I was frustrated with the "blue screen of death".

Probably would have embraced SuSE more quickly, but my modem was one of those cheap winmodems that would not use Linux. I still get a bit of a thrill remembering the first time I got my SuSE machine on to the internet. There are many distros, but the first one you get really performing always has a spot in your heart. :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:41 am   
Linux Guru

I did 9.3 professional, still the little green box with the several discs in it. By that time I had an external modem because I had been doing Linux for a while. did 6.2, 7.X don't remember, 8.something. 10 was the last one I purchased, and then it went open. Used to have a shelf in the bathroom with the books. Called that bathroom my reading room. <G>< 10 was the first one I had real trouble with. The last 10 version fixed the problems...don't remember what it was any more. About the time frame of the last 10, non winmodems PCI were easier find, as not all my boxes even had windows on them any more...especially at the club. Yeah, I always try SuSE, and usually test them. Its sorta like ones first love, as you point out.

I take it back. Just opened the little green box for 9.3 out of curiosity, and it 2 DVD's and 5 CD's. I just checked, and it was 10.0 that gave me fits. Still have those also. Don't know why I saved them. I just recently recycled the books. Got some a wee but more up to date.