Register
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:51 am

Need a GParted Screenshot

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:44 pm   
Advanced Member

I would appreciate somebody using GParted to get a screenshot of the partitioning scheme of a working Windows 10 install. The wife's HP Pavilion 20 came with Win 8, I managed to get a dual boot arrangement, and then I did the free upgrade to Win 10. This was in the days when Linux was working around the new EUFI security implementations.

The system went south on a Win 10 upgrade leaving me with a brick. I started fiddling around with reinstalling OpenSuSE, mistakenly bypassing the secure boot arrangement, and a lot of things did not go well. Ran the computer from an external drive Linux Mint for several months until I cooled down.

Presently the Pavilion has a very nice Linux Mint install in the proper Linux formatted partitions and boots from Grub properly using the EUFI. Other than the Linux swap, /, and /home partitions, the Windows partitions are still remaining. My problem is I am not confident the Win10 partitions (and there are a number of them) are properly sized and labeled. I believe a simple screenshot using the GParted GUI from a functioning machine would be the easiest way to get me oriented properly.

Should the Windows 10 get reinstalled properly, I know the GRUB will be toast, but I feel confident I can reinstall GRUB2 once the Win is functioning.

Don't really use Windows, but am trying repair my ego.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:59 pm   
Linux Guru

Please note, this is NOT a uefi installation (motherboard is OLD), but here's my Desktop:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:50 pm   
Advanced Member

thanks for the reply, tlmiller. You partition scheme not being a EUFI actually illustrates why I am confused cause the days of parking Windows on two partitions seem to be gone.

The Win8 and beyond has maybe 5 different drives of various sizes besides an area for designated data. Not certain where GRUB2 was supposed to go, I may have bricked the Windows putting it in one of those partitions. You'll see what I mean if somebody posts a GParted window or cfdisk. The present partition schemes for windows have "efi" parts.

Am presently packing for a trip from my snug, Montana cabin to meet the grandkids in Disneyland for a couple of days. Should I not survive the experience, repairing the Windows will not be necessary. :<)