Register
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:27 am

And now...the IDE Religious War Thread!!

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:13 am   
. . . .

IDE: Integrated Drive Electronics. Period. End of subject. HAND.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:17 am   
Linux Guru

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/LearningEmacs as the link implies, provides information about learning how to use Emacs.

Since we recently have another thread discussing the other primary UNIX and Linux systems editor, Vim and it's ancestry in Vi, I'm mentioning this resource for any who may have the learning interest for Emacs.

I can still use them all.

Note the editor reference... I've even used TECO, so "I've served my time when it comes to development and testing utilities, especially Web browsers and text editors

Profile WWW YIM  
 PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:45 pm   
Linux Guru

Work editors in my current position:

1. UltraEdit Text Editor - my version is licensed software from IDM Computer Solutions, Inc. and installed by our IT organization. This editor has proven handy for editing XML, XSD, and other tagged element files. Most of the test data I personally use for my current on the job testing is XML, though I only have to create XML files in the early stages of development. The remainder of the time the applications I am using generate XML, and I may use the XML provided or modify it for additional tests.

2. Notepad++ - this is a text editor that is licensed under the GNU General Public License, Version 2. As with UltraEdit, it is packaged and installed by our IT organization. Like UltraEdit, it's pretty good at syntax highlighting, and it nicely highlights text files, XML files, and a large list of file extensions, so it's a surprisingly useful tool - and it's even available on Windows 7 -

"Notepad++ is a free (as in "free speech" and also as in "free beer") source code editor and Notepad replacement that supports several languages. Running in the MS Windows environment, its use is governed by GPL License.

"Based on the powerful editing component Scintilla, Notepad++ is written in C++ and uses pure Win32 API and STL which ensures a higher execution speed and smaller program size."

I was surprised that I was able to download GNU Emacs - it has all of the features available elsewhere - and if something is lacking compared to a pre-packaged editor, there are LOTS of Elisp (Emacs Lisp) programs that allow you to create anything you want. Also surprising is that I've rarely used it here; UltraEdit and Notepad++ do a good job of meeting my needs in my current role. Though I use it on my personal systems, I really do not need it here.

Last edited by masinick on Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile WWW YIM  
 PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:48 pm   
Linux Guru

This might end up flame bait, but as it's already gone over emacs vs vi(m) I'll take my chances.

Have you tried visual studio code (vscode)? I've been using it at work for a while on go and js projects, and it's actually pretty good (even if it requires quite a beefy machine to run satisfactorily). When it launched on linux I tried throwing it at some of my *nix and freestanding c/c++ code and it just worked for peek reference, go to definition/declaration with nothing more than directory structures and makefiles.

In terms of GUI editors, it goes quite a way towards being (or at least feeling like) an IDE things like kate or nedit.

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:40 am   
Linux Guru

I have not tried Visual Studio in any form (that I can recall). On the work systems I use these days, UltraEdit usually does everything I need, though I also have access to Notepad++. I did have a friend a number of years ago that used Visual Studio quite a bit in his work, and he found it to be very useful, but I cannot speak from either personal experience or memory recall with that particular tool.

My personal editing needs are fairly simple, even in the working environment these days. I do edit XML on occasion, and both UltraEdit and Notepad++ do a good job with markup, indentation, copy, paste, and whatever else is needed, and they also do well with search and replace, so that's plenty.

There are a lot of pretty useful editors and integrated development tools available. For personal use outside of work, I only use freely available software.

Profile WWW YIM  
 PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:10 pm   
Linux Guru

ltns Brian. I hope you are doing well.

vscode is open source, based on electron (on the surface not dissimilar to atom).

To be honest, multiple things are better than vscode for xml. It just impressed me that when it came out I was able to point it at a random freestanding project and it picked up the references between c/c++ files on linux.

Now I don't really use it other than writing go at work. Not really at home. It isn't in anyway lightweight, but it goes a chunk of the way to bridging the gap between gui editor and ide, without being quite as heavy as visual studio.

Worth a look at least, but doesn't have the easy macros of slickedit/nedit etc

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:45 am   
Linux Guru

I've not experimented with either electron, atom, or Visual Studio Code yet, but I'll have to keep them in mind if I have any "midnight projects" at any point in time.

Right now at work, UltraEdit has been my 'work horse' for editing XML files; it colorizes them nicely and is capable of formatting them. I like it better than using just Notepad (my system was recently changed and I think I've lost Notepad++ in the change); it beats Notepad without a doubt, but I found myself using UltraEdit when I wanted colors and formatting or conversion between UNIX and DOS formats, UTF encoding, etc. and Notepad or even yellow sticky notes have been sufficient for anything else that I'm not doing at work in either Word or Outlook.

At home in years past I nearly always used GNU Emacs. These days I rarely take the time, except in nostalgic moments when I want to make sure that I still remember the C-x C-c and other Emacs keystrokes or the :wq!, :x, :q, ZZ, ZQ and similar commands of Vi and Vim. Other than that, Leafpad - a Notepad equivalent for GUI or nano at a command line are more than enough for my rather simple editing needs.

I'm not writing or maintaining 2500 line programs any more. I may create test data that has 50 lines or less, and often I'm only modifying one or two of those lines, so just about anything will do the job. Still, the editing environments were my life blood as a professional for a long time, so the memories, if nothing else, occasionally lead me back to them.

Life is good; I'm still active in technology, it's just that things change. These days a mobile device is often the vehicle for communicating as I move from one place to another.

Profile WWW YIM