Register
It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:48 pm

SoftMaker Office Pro 2018 released

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:27 pm   
Linux Guru

So SoftMaker has released their latest version of their Office Suite, SoftMaker Office 2018 Professional. I've already upgraded 1 of my 2 2016 licenses to 2018. I've been using it since the first (closed) beta, and there are some pretty nice updates. The biggest (IMO) is that the 64-bit version is REALLY 64-bit now. With 2016 it was a 64-bit wrapper for the 32-bit installer, which still requried 32-bit libraries. No more. Now native 64-bit, with no more need for 32-bit libraries. They also now have a version of the "ribbon" that MS Office 2007 started. You can choose between the ribbon UI and the classic UI on first launch. Interoperability with MS Office files also improved from 2016. Overall, I'm definitely happy to have purchased a license given how well this works. Also, for 2018, the Pro license can now be used on 5 pc's for home users (2016 was 3), which is why I only upgraded 1 license. But given the native 64-bit, I'm thinking I might just pony up the additional $50 to upgrade my other license.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:02 pm   
Advanced Member

I'm happy to hear SoftMaker is still at it. I tested their office suite a few years back. Worked fine and had a nice (uncluttered) look to the interface. Because I don't really push an office suite to it's max potential, I am not the person to report on inter-operability with MS Office.

If SoftMaker has decent support with good documentation, would be the ticket to bring into an office situation. Tech could show money savings over MS office with a well-supported alternative.